DIY WHOLE WHEAT N’ CORNMEAL WAFFLES
I recently took on the Whole Foods Market Cooking “Your Best Recipe with Cornmeal” Contest. And I must say my Whole Wheat n’ Cornmeal Waffles turned out quite deliciously! Here are the dets:
These waffles are a super easy substitute for your usual boxed waffle mix! Plus they’ve been healthified, using whole wheat flour & cornmeal, so they’re bursting with whole grain goodness (perfect for February’s Heart Month!). And you can freeze any leftover waffles for a quick breakfast option for later.
[Adapted from TheHappyHouseWife]
- 1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk (reduced-fat)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix together the milk, eggs, butter & oil.
- Add the brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, & cornmeal.
- Slowly mix in the flour to the batter.
- Spritz your waffle iron with non-cooking spray & cook waffles until lightly crisp on the outside (about 6 minutes).
- Serve with your favorite waffle toppings (syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit, etc.) & enjoy!