Hello my friends!
How is your June going? Mine has been filled with lots of cooking and kids and a constant craving for cool treats. (This humidity is just brutal!)
Today, I’m bringing you another 12 South Farmers Market recipe and it’s something new and different that I’ve never tried before! I’ve always grown up a household where dried shiitake mushrooms were used to make homemade Chinese dishes. My ma would buy a bag from the local Asian grocery store, pick out a few and then rehydrate them when she was ready to make a meal. (And OMG did those dried shrooms smeeeell stinky!) No matter, I actually loved them because they were so flavorful and chewy 🙂
The recipe I’m sharing today features a fun technique recommended by Bloomin’ Shrooms! It’s called “Shiitake Bacon” and man is it some kind of savory goodness! Check out the instructions here:
What did I do with my Shiitake Bacon you ask? I put it on top of fresh baked bread and ooey gooey cheese of course! Keep reading for my super simple Shiitake Bacon Bruschetta recipe.
I love how few ingredients are used in this amazing French Country Sourdough loaf from Dozen Bakery!
Don’t be alarmed if you spot “white dots” on your Kenny’s Apple Cheddar. It’s actually salt crystals that have formed over time while the cheese had aged!
- 1/4 lb. Bloomin' Shrooms shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 loaf Dozen Bakery French Country Sourdough, sliced
- 1/4 of 1/2 lb. block Kenny's Farmhouse Cheese Apple Cheddar, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Galena Garlic Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Galena Garlic Nashville Garlic Blend
- Prepare the Shiitake Bacon as directed.
- While the Shiitake Bacon is cooking, mix the garlic blend with olive oil and spread lightly on top of the sliced bread with a pastry brush.
- Toast the oiled and seasoned bread until crisp.
- Top the toasted bread with the Apple Cheddar and Shiitake Bacon.
- Broil until cheese becomes slightly melted.
What would you like to make with Shiitake Bacon? Tell me in the comments below!
Pst! Like this recipe? Check out my other 12 South Farmers Market recipe creations here.
DISCLOSURE: This post is sponsored by the 12 South Farmers Market. I was compensated for my time the products mentioned in this post. All opinions stated are my own.